BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) – Many people charge their cell phones as a part of their nightly routine.
According to fire officials, that practice could be dangerous and could become a fire hazard.
“When you trap a cell phone under a pillow or a blanket and you lay it under yourself, it’s actually going to trap the air around it and not allow it to cool down properly,” cell phone repairman Bradley Gatten said.
Gatten says keeping the phone plugged in for too long can also be problematic.
Keeping the phone plugged in for an extended period of time forces the device to keep accepting voltage from the charger. As a result, the phone heats up.
If the phone overheats it could malfunction and start a fire.
Copyright 2013 WIAT-TV CBS 42