BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) – A fire broke out at a home in Ensley on Monday night and resulted in the death of the two people inside the home.
Fire investigators say the mother, an 81-year-old woman, died in the fire. Her son was transported to UAB Hospital where he died a short while later.
Birmingham Fire & Rescue Battalion Chief C. W. Mardis says the fire began in the kitchen. It is believed that food was left unattended.
The Birmingham Fire Department says it has fought more than two dozen house fires started by unattended food since February. Four of those fires have been fatal.
Chief Mardis says the issue is preventable if a couple of simple steps are taken.
First, double check the kitchen before leaving the house or going to bed. Make sure all appliances are turned off.
Second, never leave unattended food cooking on the stove. Mardis says fires can start in only a matter of seconds.
More safety tips can be found here: Fire prevention and safety tips
Copyright 2013 WIAT-TV CBS 42