BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) – The United Way of Central Alabama assisted providing long-term recovery help to individuals, families and entire communities following the tornado outbreak of April 2011. The organization is a lead member of the Central Alabama Long-Term Recovery Committee and combined resources with other nonprofits.
Below are some statistics provided by the United Way on the two years anniversary of the April 27th tornado outbreak.
- 1600 families have received assistance for repairing or rebuilding homes, rental or mortgage expenses, utility assistance, transportation or medical needs
- 269 home repairs or rebuilds, in collaboration with Habitat for Humanity, have been completed
- $88,000 is the average cost of a home rebuild
- $22,500 is the average cost of a home repair
- $1,045,646 is the value of new furniture and appliances
- $4.1 million is the total amount of funds provided in assistance to tornado survivors by CALTRA partners
- 75,569 is the total number of volunteer hours contributed to CALTRA construction