BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — Rescue teams from Jefferson County are gearing up for the next disaster.
They’re bringing out all the tools, all the teams and every ounce of effort to make this search-and-rescue simulation as authentic as possible.
Mike Harter with the Jefferson County Emergency Management Agency oversees the drills.
“They have to move that piece of material out there, go inside the square tubes, break through a couple of panels,” Harter says, “And then reach the mannequins.”
Drills also include multiple story rescues and underground rescues.
“A lot of what they’re doing today, they may not have had a chance to do it on their own,” Harter says, “So we’re bringing everybody together.”
The Federal Government pays about 80 percent of the cost of training; the other 20 percent comes from local agencies.
Team members are working to prepare themselves in case a time comes when they’re no longer rescuing mannequins, but rescuing real victims.