BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) – A bite of a burger could land people in the hospital with awful symptoms.
A single bite from the lone star tick can start the process.
After a bite from the tick, a simple bite of red meat brings about the illness.
It causes an allergy, much like food poisoning or the stomach flu, but to an extreme.
The symptoms usually land people in the emergency room.
Some people can also go into an anaphylactic shock.
“You do not get hives for four hours, and you have no idea how strange that is for us,” Dr. Thomas Platt Mills said.
The lone star tick is mostly found in the Southeastern areas of the United States.
It can produce an antibody to something called alphagal.
The reaction usually takes longer to show itself, because it can take hours for the body to digest the animal fat.
Gardeners, hikers or people who work outdoors are more likely to come in contact with the lone star tick.
Copyright 2013 WIAT-TV CBS 42