BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) – Beginning Wednesday night, AAA-Alabama and wrecker services across the state will offer Tow-for-Life. The program provides free towing services to help keep impaired drivers off the road. 2013 marks the 24th year of the program, and the third time the service has been available for the 4th of July.
Starting July 3rd at 6 p.m. and running through 11:59 p.m. on July 4th, AAA members and non-members alike will be able to use the Tow-for-Life program.
“This is a very dangerous time of year to be on the roads… We want to do everything possible to prevent people from drinking and driving, and this service should certainly help keep impaired drivers off the roads. ”-Clay Ingram, AAA Alabama spokesperson
AAA encourages party-goers who drink alcohol to appoint a designated driver and party hosts should prevent guests from driving after drinking by calling a taxi to take them home, allowing the guest to spend the night or by making other arrangements to keep them safe.
For this interested in receiving the free towing on the July 4th holiday:
- Call AAA-Alabama at 1-800-222-4357 (1-800-AAA-HELP) and ask for Tow-for-Life. The vehicle must be operable to qualify for a free tow.
- The operator will ask for the driver’s name, home address, telephone number and exact location of the vehicle and driver.
- A tow truck will be dispatched and upon arrival the wrecker driver will ask for identification and the keys to the vehicle.
- The vehicle will be towed to the home of the driver or owner if the owner is present.
- Towing is provided at NO CHARGE up to 10 miles. After 10 miles, the customer is responsible for additional charges.
For more information about the program, call (205) 444-8885.