BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — For several months, CBS42 has been the only station covering the making of a memorial to honor the victims of the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing.
Sculptor Elizabeth Macqueen designed the memorial. She says it was important to her to show the life the girls had yet to live.
The group Four Spirits Inc. is raising money for the completion of the memorial which will be placed at the entrance to Kelly Ingram Park. The cost of project is $250,000.00. The organization says they have received donations from the following:
- $25,000 City of Birmingham
- $25,000 Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham
- $25,000 United Way of Central Alabama
- $25,000 Energen Corporation
- $25,000 Vulcan Materials Company Foundation
- $5,000 Marvin Engel Foundation
- $5,000 Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, P.C.
There is a push for people in the community to join in with their own donations to bring the memorial home to Birmingham in time for the 50th year mark since the bombing at the church, September 15, 2013.
More information on the plans for the memorial can be found by clicking this link.
MacQueen’s webpage can be found by clicking this link.
Copyright 2013 WIAT-TV CBS 42