HOOVER, Ala. (WIAT) – A house caught fire in Hoover on Tuesday afternoon after it was struck by lightning during afternoon storms.
The fire broke out at a home located at 600 Clearview Road.
Lieutenant Rusty Lowe with the Hoover Fire Department says the fire happened around 2:15 p.m. and started in the attic.
When firefighters arrived on scene they were able to douse the flames and extinguish the fire in 20-25 minutes.
Lowe says the home has extensive fire damage to the roof and water and smoke damage to the living area.
A teenager was home as the storms rolled through. They saw a flash of lightning and felt the house shake.
Shortly thereafter, the home filled with smoke. A passerby noticed the smoke and flames and called the fire department to alert them.
Lowe says there were no injuries sustained in the fire.
Copyright 2013 WIAT-TV CBS 42