BIRMINGHAM, Ala (WIAT) – Have you ever had to keep up with receipts to get reimbursements from your job? Tech Tuesday shows you an app that will make that process much easier!
The following is our tech expert David Powell’s discussion on Expensify:
Tech Tuesday: Expensify
Sometimes, an app improves the life of our resident tech expert, David Powell, so much that he wants to let everyone know about it. We talked about the Uber car service a few weeks ago and now there is another app that is making his life better and he wants to tell you about it. It is Expensify.
* What is Expensify? If you travel at all for work and have to save credit cards receipts, it is a tremendous hassle. This is an envelope holding the work receipts of a work trip I took to Europe earlier this year. I had to keep track of all these receipts and carry them across the Atlantic. If I had been using Expensify, I would have only had my iPhone, which I had with me anyway. It allows me to manage all my expenses right there on my phone.
* So, what does it actually do to get rid of all those receipts? I load the app on my phone and then, let’s say, I took you to a work related dinner. At the end of dinner, I could sign the receipt and then quickly pull out my phone and launch Expensify. I type in the name of the restaurant, the amount and the business purpose. Then, I snap a quick picture of the receipt and throw the hard copy away. The app syncs to my computer so when it is time to submit expenses to accounting, I can add more details, tag them to particular customers, everything. It is really great.
* So, you have to type the information into the app? Well, yes. In the free version you do. But, it has a Smart Scan feature where it will scan the receipt and automatically enter all that information for you. You can do 10 of those a month with the free version.
* What about reimbursable mileage, I hear that’s a hassle to keep up with? It is and that’s a great question. You can enter your mileage directly into Expensify or you can start “expensing a trip” and it uses the GPS in the phone to track your actual mileage. It is very convenient.
* So, you simply export this to accounting each month? There are a couple of ways to do it. With the free version, which I use, you can simply print your expense report to PDF and either hand it in or email it to accounting. The version you pay for will actually integrate into most of the expense management and accounting packages. That makes it very easy for accounting to handle. But, again, even if your accounting department is not set up to automatically integrate with Expensify, you can use it as an individual for free and get rid of all those blasted receipts!