BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) – The American Red Cross has some important information to help you get through the coming winter blast.
- When preparing for winter weather there are some things you need to do in advance.
- First you need to store a three day supply of water, one gallon per person per day.
- You should also have a three day stock of easy to prepare food.
- Make sure you have a flashlight and a battery/hand cranked weather radio.
- Always try to keep your cell phone charged going into a weather threat.
- Have any medications refilled and ready to go.
- Keep gas powered generators outside and in a well-ventilated area.
- Space heaters are meant as a temporary heating source, don’t leave them unattended; and keep them at least three feet away from furniture, drapes, and the carpet.
- For the car, keep your gas tank full. That will help prevent the gas line from freezing.
- Keep coats and blankets in the trunk.
- Throw in a bag of kitty litter or rock salt to help you regain traction in the event your vehicle gets stuck.
And for more on what you may want to keep in your car, CLICK HERE.
Copyright 2014 WIAT-CBS42